Air Conditioning – A Summer Essential
Nothing can spoil a road trip more than an air conditioning system that doesn’t work properly. Hot days travelling to nature hotspots, the beach, or to a different city aren’t as pleasant when you’re sweltering in your leather seats in dire need of some cool air blasting at you. Even on cold days, your air-con is important. It saves time and effort trying to demist your windscreen, and keeps it ready and working for when it turns hot in the summer again.
Unfortunately, air-con systems aren’t included in your annual MOT and service. It’s not included in them as the purpose of the MOT is to ensure the vehicle complies to the DVSA guidelines and is safe to drive on the road. Whether your air conditioning system works well or not, isn’t critical enough to deem if your vehicle is safe to drive. Your vehicle manufacturer may offer an air-con recharge as a separate service, which is recommended to have done about every 2 years.
5 Reasons to Service Your Air Conditioning System
If you use your air conditioning system frequently or rarely, it’s still important to have it working as best it can. Here are 5 reasons why you should get your air-con system serviced, no matter how often you use it.
- On-Demand Cold Air – Turning on your air-con to cool you down is more efficient than opening up your window to let the wind flow through when driving at high speeds. You can get the exact amount of air control and temperature that you need without the loudness and drag that opening your window gives you. Having your aircon serviced regularly will ensure that when you need the cool air on you, you will get cool air and not have to be uncomfortable in the heat or experience the factors that come with open windows.
- Road Damage – The air conditioning condenser is normally placed at the front of your car so that it can take in the air from under the bonnet. Because of this, it is subject to damage from stones and debris as you drive around. If significant damage is made, it could cause the condenser to be indented and make the gas leak out through the vents. The hoses, sensors or other parts would possibly have to be repaired which could be costly.
- Fuel Efficiency – If your air conditioning refrigerant is low then it could actually be reducing the efficiency of your fuel. When it’s low and you have the air-con turned on, the system works harder to try and create cool air. When it does this is uses additional fuel that wouldn’t be used if the refrigerant was sufficiently topped up.
- Odour and Bacteria – If you turn on your air-con and you are hit with an unpleasant smell coming from the vents, it could mean that there’s a build-up of bacteria in the system. The conditions that the air cons evaporator creates is a perfect breeding ground for bacteria. If you experience the unpleasant smell when turning your air-con on its more than likely that you have mould and fungi built up in the evaporator. This means that having this air spread around your vehicle will carry the spores from the bacteria and could cause you or your passengers to get ill.
- Neglect – Lastly, if you neglect your vehicles air conditioning system and don’t have it serviced every 2 years as recommended it could put unnecessary stress on the system. Like any other system or part of your car, if it is neglected it could cause problems and ultimately cause failures. Keeping it serviced will ensure it runs smoothly and won’t cause any problems when you need it most.
Get in Touch
If you’d like to learn more about our air conditioning services or you’d like to book in to get your system regassed, please call our workshop on 01752 666402 or call in if you’re in the area. You can find Plymouth Radiators at 55 Holly Court, St. Modwen Road, Parkway Industrial Estate, Plymouth. We’re open from 08:30 until 17:30 Monday to Friday and from 08:30 until 12:00 on Saturday. Don’t forget, you can also follow us on Facebook to get all the latest updates and news!
Plymouth Radiators is a family-run business, with more than 30 years of experience in car and other vehicle radiator repair and fitting services, quality air con services and the manufacture of new number plates.